When I plucked this rather stern-looking dress from its rack at one of my favorite $1 thrift stores, it was with a certainty that whatever I did to it would be an improvement!
Nothing fun, lively, or exciting has ever happened to anyone while wearing this dress. I can just tell. But it’s not all bad. I like those stripes and that funky side button placket, and I just knew there was a flirty fun frock hiding in there somewhere!
I just couldn’t stand that collar or those sleeves though. I grabbed my seam ripper and got to work!
After an episode of Orange is the New Black, my picking was rewarded!
Time to close up shop! I pinned down the raw edges along the neckline and arm holes…
…then I stitched the pinned parts down.
This dress is just a bit too big for me, so I took in each side 1″.
I cut off the extra fabric, and put the dress on my form. Now I needed to figure out how I wanted to restructure my new collarless neckline!
I pinned & played until I came up with this funky asymmetrical V!
This meant I had to let one of these little guys go.
I stitched my new neckline down, then decided to remove just a little bit of the length from the bottom of my new dress.
After stitching a quick hem (and of course ironing everything), I was all done!
I’m pretty thrilled with this one, you guys. :)
I accessorized my new dress with a red vintage belt that was my Grandmother’s, and a pair of patent cork wedges. :)
My new dress was perfect for work…
…and also perfect for after-work Birthday Party play! ;)