This week’s Wannabe Wednesday (as in, I wore my refashion on Wednesday evening. Hey! It still counts!)’s inspiration piece comes from ! While perusing their site, I stumbled upon their dress.
Isn’t it just adorable? I LOVE that neckline and those polka dots! And check out the back!
Sadly, the closest thing I have in my bin o’ refashionables is this:
Yeah…there’s some work to be done here!
First, these guys had to go buh-bye!
Then, I chopped off the sleeves:
I added notches to my arm holes to make it easier to fold and pin them under when it’s time to hem them!
I put the dress on my dress form inside-out and got it all fitted!
I stitched the sides down, then trimmed off the extra fabric with my pinking shears.
I tried my partially-completed dress on, and pinned the bottom where I wanted the hem to be. Choppage quickly followed!
Now I just had to hem my raw edges!
Okay, so my dress had the same shape as the original, but it still didn’t have that gorgeous neck/back thing going for it. :/
Until now! :)
I decided I didn’t want the back of my dress to be quite as swoopy as the original. I’m fond of wearing proper undergarments, and I’d just end up having to layer a tank top under it if I went full-swoop. I liked the button-down back of my dress, and decided to only plunge it a wee little bit.
I stitched this down, but still…I wanted that amazing neck line!
I grabbed the bottom scrap from my dress and marked 4″ from the bottom…marking this with tailor’s chalk.
Then, I cut this part away from the rest, leaving me with a long strip.
I grabbed my iron, and pressed a fold, like so:
I tossed my frock back on my dress form (right-side-out this time), and pinned my new collar-ish thing all the way around the neck to the back.
I probably should have basted this down before putting it through my machine, but I was already running late to meet a friend for drinks! I decided to just try my best to pin and sew my new collar as close to the neckline as I could and hope for the best!
After it was stitched down, I used my pinking shears to trim that raw edge. I knew it would be hidden by the collar, but I didn’t want it to fray! Also, I stitched down the ends of the scrap at the same time as I was attaching it.
I pressed my new dress, and ended up quite happy with the end result!
I really should have made the collar wider, but as I was just sort of winging it, I’m pretty happy with the end result.
And the back is just amazeballs!
It’s kind of hard to see much detail in these shots as they were taken in a darkly lit bar, but here’s a closer look!
My new dress fit in just fine at , where I checked out the sweet sounds of and !
Original Cost: $49
Copycat Cost: $1