Q: I like your blog, and it seems to have a good following. I just started a blog of my own. How can I make it a success?
When people ask how to have a successful blog, it’s hard to know what to tell them. I’ve been blogging at SlipsKnute.net for a looooong time and it has only VERY recently gained traction. Here’s a few things that I think I’ve done right.
1. I’ve got a gimmick. My blog is very focused on a very specific thing. (refashioning and eco fashion).
2. I try to have a clear writing voice and I don’t try to dumb myself down or write like another successful blogger. In the beginning I tried to be way too “cutesy” and it didn’t work, because it wasn’t me. Just trust that you’re as clever as you think you are. I hate reading blogs where the person’s humor is really try-hard.
3. I edit. Poor spelling and grammar can really turn your readers off (unless it’s intentional and/or funny). Their There They’re and all that jazz.
4. I TRY to use good photos. This is a toughie and a major learning curve for me (and something I’m still working on). Get a good camera. Don’t be like me and use the same craptastic one for ages and ages. Edit your pics. There’s an awesome free photo editing site called Picmonkey, and that’s what I use.
5. I have fun! I genuinely LOVE what I’m writing about. :)
I hope these tips are helpful for you newbie bloggers out there.